Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Good News!

Great news! The North Carolina Society of Historians, this past Saturday, honored two of my books, The Fifty-eighth North Carolina Troops: Tar Heels in the Army of Northern Virginia (2010) and North Carolina Remembers Gettysburg (2011) with the Willie Parker Peace History Book Award. This makes the seven and eight times that I have been honored by the Society for my books. Awards were also presented to several of my articles that appeared in Carolina Mountain Life, and one of my articles in the Tar Heel Junior Historian; these were given the D. T. Smithwick Newspaper and Magazine Article Award. Thanks to the Society for the honors.
One other piece of personal news: I was recently elected to serve on the board of the Friends of Mountain Heritage Board, a organization made up of museums and historic sites in western North Carolina. I am looking forward to getting involved!

No comments: