Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Little Bit of Reflection

At times, sometimes at church, or out in the public, folks come up and say, “I heard you were a Civil War buff.” I’ve even been introduced as such. Since attending/participating in my first reenactment in November 1982, I’ve been obsessed with history – and obsession is probably not even the right word.

And it is not just the Civil War, or North Carolina’s role in the war. Many of you know that I write local history as well. Why? I just feel compelled to get stories of the past on paper. But it is even more than just local history. I think I could go about anywhere and write about anything. Now, to be honest, I do not have the background for some of these subjects. For example, my knowledge about WWI and WWII does not surpass History Chanel level. I discovered that when I wrote my history of Watauga County. As I was struggling along, I really felt out of my element when it came time to cover those periods of American history. Granted, I needed to know how the war affected local communities, not what was happening in North Africa, in Germany, or Japan. But still, I felt out of my comfort zone.

My interested in the Civil War goes beyond just North Carolina. The book I wrote on the battle of Hanover Court House (VA) spawned an article, a biographical piece on Irvin McDowell. I do wish the publisher who has it would publish it. For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been working on a little booklet on the July 1864 Brooksville (FL) Raid. I am co-writing this with my dad, and it should out in time for the 2009 reenactment in January.

For the past few weeks, I have been exploring the option of starting yet another blog. I actually set up the page, but I have done nothing with it. This blog would allow me to explore my interests outside North Carolina, like Capt./Col. Jonathan W. Childs (2nd USCT/4th Mich) – why do none of his bios ever mention his service with the 2nd USCT? Or maybe Colonel Stryker of the 44th NY and his dismissal from the service? Or, one of my favorite places, Cumberland Gap.

The problem? I already have difficulty in keeping up with the two blogs that I do have – this one, and my local history blog on the Toe River Valley.

Just thoughts….

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving holiday – we are off to visit family. What am I thankful for? Every day I get to crank up this computer and write about the past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael,
I hope that your holiday was also great. Thanks for sharing more about your studies and likes. In particular, to those of us that have yet to meet ya at a book signing, etc.

Although I reside in the DFW, TX, area, I expect to relocate to WNC in perhaps the next year. Most of my kin reside from Haywood to Cherokee counties, so it would be nice to be closer to everyone. Moreover, I desire to continue my research on the area where my heart is - WNC. I am retired and have nothing but time.

M. Parker