Thursday, August 21, 2008

back at work on the 58th NCT

Many of you will be happy to know that I spent most of yesterday working on the 58th NCT book. I've been away from the project for several weeks now, trying to complete the Mitchell County project. I spent yesterday reorganizing the piles of folders that I use to try and keep things organized. I also spent some time sending an email to a friend about the fragments of the 58th NCT's flag in Raleigh.

Whenever you undertake a project such a regimental history, there are always going to be questions that you cannot answer. It was true when I wrote the book on the 37th NCT, and it is turning out to be true for the 58th NCT.

What I want to know is how the "58" and "NC"of the 58th NCT's Atlanta/Dalton flag ended up with the Harpers in Lenoir? Was the flag surrendered at Greensboro, or was it smuggled out, or was it cut up in little pieces and distributed to the survivors? And, since the 54th and 63rd Virginia's 1864 issue flag survives, and the "58"and "NC"of the 58th NCT's flag survives, whatever happened to the 60th NCT's 1864 flag? Is there a list of flags surrendered at Greensboro?

If any of my readers ever attempt to undertake such a project as aregimental history, be prepared for a long list of questions that you will never find answers to!

1 comment:

Another Lost Tarheel said...

Really? there is remnants of the 58th flag? That I would truly like to see.....
Tim Smith
Nashville,TN
http://ramblingheel.blogspot.com/