Saturday, May 17, 2008

Flags of the 26th NCT and 37th NCT



As a writer, I have several special events that hold an important place in my life, like the publication of my first article, the publication of my first book, winning the Willie Parker Peace Book Award (twice), and speaking at the CWPT’s annual conference last year. Today, I added another one to that last.



For the past couple of weeks, I have mentioned a special program that I was attending at the North Carolina Museum of History. It is 10:30 pm, Saturday evening; I just returned. Today, I had the opportunity to present/unveil the battle flag of the 37th North Carolina Troops. The flag of the 37th NCT, along with the Gettysburg flag of the 26th NCT, and the coat, belt, and sword of Maj. Gen. Bryan Grimes, has been loaned to the NCMOH by the Museum of the Confederacy.



Yesterday, my family drove to Raleigh. I spent the afternoon tracking down some letters by a member of the 58th NCT. I also had a chance to chat for a few minutes with Tom Belton, Curator at the NCMOH. We then spent Friday evening with Col. Skip Smith, of the 26th NCT, and his family. On Saturday morning, I arrived at the museum a little after 10:00 am. I set up some of my books on the table and began talking to folks as they arrived. Around 12:30 pm, the program began, with music being provided by both the 26th NCT’s brass band, and fife and drum corps (field music). We then made our way into the auditorium. I spoke close to the beginning of the program, and, along with Mr. Belton, unveiled the flag of the 37th NCT. Several others spoke, and we displayed the coat, belt, and sword of Bryan Grimes, and the blood-stained flag of the 26th NCT.



It has been a glorious day. Thanks to the 26th NCT for allowing me to participate in this remarkable experience. After I catch my breath a bit, I may post more about the day .



The photo at top is the flag of the 37th NCT. The one at the bottom is of the 26th NCT’s.

4 comments:

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Congratulations Michael!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that you are currently under attack by the neo-Radical and the Carpetbag Historian factions. Keep your powder dry.

http://civilwarmemory.typepad.com/civil_war_memory/2008/05/a-thoughtful-we.html

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Michael!! Your passion and attention to accuracy are evident to all who read your publications.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey Michael. Your best response to the attacks that are referred to here is to ignore them. Your success speaks for itself and is your best "revenge." You're doing great work.