Monday, March 24, 2008

I’d ruther be on the Grandfather Mountain

The 58th North Carolina was stationed in Dalton, Georgia, as provost guards from late January to late February 1864. Over the weekend, I was doing some research, reading parts of Rebel Watchdog by Kenneth Radley, on the role of the provost guard during the war.

I came across this four line poem on page 72:

I’d ruther be on the Grandfather Mountain
A-taking the snow and rain
Than to be in Castle Thunder
A-wearin’ the ball and chain

Radley cites Thomas’s biography of Richmond, Virginia, as his source. I also have this book and looked it up. Thomas writes that the quote came from a book by Arthur Palmer Hudson, titled Folklore Keeps the Past Alive, page 27. I do not have a copy of this book, so I’m going to Ill it. I’ll let you know what I turn up.

Anyone else ever heard of these lines from an as-of-yet unknown bard?

No comments: