Thursday, November 15, 2007

Travels

I think that I have almost recovered from my recent excursion. On Monday evening I spoke to the SCV Camp in Lenoir. This is a fine group of folks. I spoke for about 30 minutes about Confederate Veteran Reunions, and then for the next hour and a half, we just talked about the War. I find myself enjoying this type of dialog more and more.

On Tuesday, I journeyed to Duke University. I had been informed that there was letters from William Oxford of the 58th NCT in a collected under his sisters name. Well, there was a letter from July 1863. Just one more piece of the puzzle. There also letters from soldiers in the 7th, 22nd, and 26th Regiments.

From Duke, I made my way to Raleigh. I had half a dozen pension records that I wanted to look at. When I got off the elevator, I hardly recognized the place. I actually thought that I was on the wrong floor. The place has been remodeled beautifully. Most of the pension records were a bust, or did not contain any pertinent information. One did, andI'll discuss that later. I did have chance to meet Chris Meekins, who works at the archives, is on the Sesquicentennial Committee, and confessed to being a blog reader.

After leaving the archives, I traveled South out of Raleigh, and spent a large part of the evening talking with the fine folks at the SCV Camp in Garner. I was planing to spend the night, but some circumstances here on the home front brought me back. I got in about 1:00 am and spent most of yesterday trying to recover.

I had a great time at all of the venues that I visited, and it is nice to find folks who read these random thoughts of mine.

By the way, if you have emailed me recently, I am about 140 responses behind. I'll get to yours soon.

No comments: