Friday, August 24, 2007

E. Kirby Smith bio

Don recently asked what bio on E. Kirby Smith I am planning to read. I have a copy of General Edmund Kirby Smith, C. S. A., written by Joseph H. Parks. It was published in 1954 by LSU and reissued in 1982. I did some searching, and I could find no other recent bio on Smith. I do not know if I will get to read the whole bio at this time. Too many books... I know, that smacks against one of my favorite quotes from C. S. Lewis - No book too long, no cup of tea too large.

With the way that books on the war are turned out, I find the task of trying to read them all daunting. I have about 1,000 books on the war, and many more on Appalachia, early American history, and literature. Add to that a smattering of religious texts and biographies, books on Scotland, histories in general, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and philosophy. I’ve also got around 200 books printed prior to 1860 - once again history, literature, text books, biographies, state laws and codices, etc.,

If you add the books that belong to my wife, (she’s an English professor), that includes just about anything ever written by or on C. S. Lewis, and enough Shakespeare to keep a person busy for a lifetime. Well, I really need a bigger house with lots of wall space for book shelves.
Some of these are good books, some bad.

Maybe a list of my favorite War Between the States books is in order.

1 comment:

Don said...

Thanks for the info, Michael, I'll see if I can find a copy. I've done some digging on his conduct during his unit's (2nd US Cavalry)evacuation of Texas before he resigned and found it to be entirely honorable. Did you know his papers are at UNC-Chapel Hill?