Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Pvt. John Barefoot


A couple of days ago, I mentioned a lone, marked North Carolina grave at Blandford Church Cemetery. That marker is for John Q. Barefoot. He was "born in Johnson County where he resided as a farmer prior to enlisting in Sampson County at the age of 35." Barefoot enlisted (conscripted?) On May 12, 1862, in Company B, 56th North Carolina Troops. He was a private. On November 29, 1862, he was admitted to a hospital in Petersburg, where on December 8, 1862, he died of "cont[inued] febris." There were five other Barefoots in Company B.

4 comments:

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Michael. Perhaps this gentleman is related to North Carolina author Daniel Barefoot? (Let Us Die Like Brave Men: Behind The Dying Words Of Confederate Warriors)

BTW, I need to chat with you about the SCV meeting in Lexington in May. Can you email me your phone number please? stonewallbook@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I share the same name with this John Barefoot and he died exactly 100 years and 1 month before I was born.
John Barefoot
Atlanta, Ga.
born Jan. 8 1962

Unknown said...

my great great grandfather. RIP

Unknown said...

My great great grandfather, RIP